TECHNOLOchicas January/February News
With the holidays behind us and spring just around the corner, we are gearing up for our next set of adventures: TECHNOLOchicas 3.0! We’re flying from coast to coast to film the next series of TECHNOLOchicas videos. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter so that you can catch all the behind-the-scenes moments, as they happen.
As always, thanks for signing up to hear all of the latest TECHNOLOchicas news — inspiring videos and resources, as well as news and event highlights. We hope you and your TECHNOLOchica are feeling inspired about all that computing has to offer.
In this newsletter:
- Featured Video
- Tip of the Month
- Featured News Coverage
- Past Events
- Upcoming Events
- Spreading the Word
As we look forward to 3.0, take a look back at the ten TECHNOLOchicas from across the country who are innovating and inspiring in this 2.0 trailer: https://technolochicas.org/camp/VideoCamp.
Tip of the Month
- The NCWIT "Computer Science-in-a-Box" has been updated with new activities for 2018! Your future TECHNOLOchica can learn about the fundamental building blocks of computer science -- without using computers. Unplug, and explore how computers work and think: www.ncwit.org/unplugged.
Want more tips? Follow along on Facebook and Twitter, and browse the complete set of NCWIT resources, available through the TECHNOLOchicas website. Be sure to share them with your community!
Featured News Coverage
- Did you know that of the eight students making up the second class to graduate with the ATLAS Institute's Bachelor of Science in Technology, Arts & Media (TAM), half are women, including TECHNOLOchica Susana Gomez-Burgos? In fact, she just finished up a major project for her last set of TAM classes: a low-cost, interactive book in Spanish that introduces computer science topics to children from Hispanic backgrounds. // http://bit.ly/2sDitds
- TECHNOLOchica Marisol Gamboa is featured in the 2018 “New Mexico Women of STEM” calendar, produced by the New Mexico Supercomputing Challenge. The calendar serves as a chance to introduce young women to role models in STEM and will be sent to middle and high school math and science teachers throughout New Mexico. // http://bit.ly/2ogDHrU
- Have you ever wondered what it is like to become a TECHNOLOchica? Let TECHNOLOchica Marielenna Ramirez tell you all about it: http://bit.ly/2o8XM4g.
- A new season of SciGirls kicked off this month! Be sure to watch closely, and you will see some familiar TECHNOLOchica faces as the SciGirls take on STEM adventures, in both Spanish and English: http://bit.ly/2ofCTDD.
- Did you miss TECHNOLOchica Madelyn Tavarez on Noticias 45 Houston's Edicion Digital Houston? Well, you can catch it here: http://bit.ly/2EBD6rU
TECHNOLOchicas Mercy Manrique and Eiling Fernandez hung out with some soon-to-be TECHNOLOchicas at the Youth Leadership Conference in San Bernardino, California.
More events, appearances, and celebrations are coming. Be sure that you are following us via social media and watching for future newsletters to be the first to know where the TECHNOLOchicas will be in 2018!
Spreading the Word
Want to help support TECHNOLOchicas? Below are several ways you can help.
Join Us Online
- Follow @TECHNOLOchicas on Twitter, and like TECHNOLOchicas on Facebook for daily tips, inspirational quotes, and Latinas in technology news that you can share with friends.
- Follow us on Instagram, and see event highlights through the eyes of the TECHNOLOchicas as they capture memorable moments.
Host an Event
Ask a TECHNOLOchica to make an appearance, or show a screening of TECHNOLOchicas videos for young Latinas at schools or community organizations. Contact [email protected] to start planning!
Identify More TECHNOLOchicas
Know Latinas in technology who could be profiled as a TECHNOLOchica? Share this application form with them: http://bit.ly/2vMjCjM.