With Latinas occupying only one percent of jobs in the computing workforce in 2017, TECHNOLOchicas underscores the critical need to acknowledge, celebrate, and raise visibility for Latinas in tech. TECHNOLOchicas, a national initiative of the National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT) and Televisa Foundation, is designed to raise awareness among young Latinas and their families about opportunities and careers in technology. TECHNOLOchicas uses the powerful stories of Latinas from diverse backgrounds, who are in technology fields, and recognize the power of innovation to change the world.
Anyone can get involved and support the TECHNOLOchicas mission. Read on, get inspired, and find out how!
1. Follow TECHNOLOchicas on social media. We share inspiring stories of Latinas in tech, highlights from TECHNOLOchicas events, and resources to support your efforts to make the computing field more inclusive for all. Find us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, so you won’t miss a thing.
2. Join the TECHNOLOchicas and be a part of the action! If you’re over 18, studying or working in a tech field, and passionate about encouraging younger Latinas to get involved in computing, consider becoming a TECHNOLOchica. Just go here and click the “Sign Up” button to get started.
3. Educators: invite the TECHNOLOchicas to your school! Ambassadors can facilitate workshops, share about their own educational and career journeys, and answer students’ questions about what it’s like to work in the tech field. Just use the online contact form to set up an in-person or virtual visit.
4. Organize a viewing party and share the TECHNOLOchicas 3.0 videos with your students, with your family, or with your friends! These videos showcase Latinas with diverse backgrounds and technical interests, each of whom is pursuing her dreams in her own way."
5. Does your workplace want to take the next step in its efforts to make the tech industry more inclusive? Your company can help sponsor TECHNOLOchicas. Contact us using the online form to learn more.
6. Businesses and organizations can also host the TECHNOLOchicas for outreach events, trainings, keynote talks, and more. Have an idea for a collaboration? Fill out the contact form on our website to get started.
7. Family members: talk to the kids in your life about the many creative, educational, and career opportunities that technology can offer. If you notice a child’s or teen’s interest in computing, encourage them to pursue it! Not sure where to start? Check out the NCWIT resource, “Top 10 Ways Families Can Encourage Girls' Interest in Computing,” available in English and Spanish.
8. Help us spread the word about everything the TECHNOLOchicas are doing to encourage and inspire Latinas to get involved in computing! Share your favorite videos on social media!