The TECHNOLOchicas said goodbye to 2016 and welcomed in 2017 with a bang! This year, stay tuned for all of the latest TECHNOLOchicas news — inspiring videos, resources, news articles, and event highlights!
In this newsletter:
- Featured Video
- Tip of the Month
- Featured News Coverage
- Past Events
- Upcoming Events
- Spreading the Word
As we kick off 2017, we look back on the words of Eva Longoria Baston: “Listen to their stories. Watch them smile, and share their lives. In all of them, you will find one thing in common — they believed in the life-changing power of technology, and they were committed to follow their dreams. Today, I want to encourage all of you young Latinas to explore careers in technology.”
Tip of the Month
Take your TECHNOLOchica and her friends to see “Hidden Figures,” a movie starring actors who serve as technical role models for girls and women while disrupting the stereotypes of females in computing.
Let us know what you and your TECHNOLOchica loved about your movie-viewing experience by answering one or more of these questions: ncwit.org/HFsubmissions. NCWIT will blog the most inspirational responses!
Featured News Coverage
- TECHNOLOchica Jessica Santana and New York On Tech was listed as one of Forbes 2017 30 Under 30! Congratulations, Jessica!
- “I could have never imagined everything that would happen in the last two years, and I am grateful for every opportunity I have had. I always knew that I wanted Hot Seat to come to the market because I know it solves a problem that impacts so many people every year, and for it to become a reality is just surreal!” // TECHNOLOChica Alissa Chavez talked with Good News New Mexico about her invention, the Hot Seat.
- “Proud of our Champions of Change — folks who prove that, here in America, there’s no more powerful role than that of citizen.” // President Obama celebrated the Champions of Change in November, including TECHNOLOchica and #WHChamp Andrea Chaves.
- “Girls need to grow up knowing that they are worth as much as boys and can do and be anything they want as girls.” // TECHNOLOChica Lolita Taub shared “My BreakTheGlass Journey” on Medium.
- TECHNOLOchica Marilu Duque talked with DiMe Media about the free application for Federal Student Aid (#FAFSA) and other tips for paying for college via Facebook Live. Catch the replay!
- “We intentionally place mentors of color from diverse backgrounds into their lives, so they won’t feel alone in their journey. If we come from the school of thought that they can’t be what they can’t see, then it’s our job to make sure that we recruit mentors intentionally.” // TECHNOLOchica Jessica Santana talked with NationSwell about the non-profit New York on Tech and the importance of role models.
- TECHNOLOchica Rabecca Rocha talked women in tech, women of color, and indie dev in a recent interview with Black Shell Media. Listen to it here.
- The TECHNOLOchicas joined LinkedIn staff and Univision for a Code Party!
- The TECHNOLOchicas had a great time celebrating Hour of Code at the Latina Hour of Code event in Southern California.
- The TECHNOLOchicas joined students, employers, entrepreneurs for the first annual Latino Tech Summit at Santa Clara University.
- TECHNOLOChicas visited with Eva Longoria at the Eva Longoria Foundation Dinner.
- TECHNOLOchicas Jessica Santana and Rebecca Garcia discussed the importance of inclusion mentorship and paying it forward in their recent keynotes at #STEEAMnista.
- In celebration of CSEdWeek in December, TECHNOLOchicas became part of NCWIT’s and Televisa Foundation’s commitment to #CSForAll.
More events, appearances, and celebrations are coming. Be sure that you are following us via social media and watching for future newsletters to be the first to know where the TECHNOLOchicas will be next.
Spreading the Word
Want to help support TECHNOLOchicas? Below are several ways you can help.
Join Us Online
- Follow @TECHNOLOchicas on Twitter, and like TECHNOLOchicas on Facebook for daily tips, inspirational quotes, and Latinas in technology news that you can share with friends.
- Follow us on Instagram, and see event highlights through the eyes of the TECHNOLOchicas as they capture memorable moments. View additional, official photos on the Flickr channel.
Host an Event
Ask a TECHNOLOchica to make an appearance, or show a screening of TECHNOLOchicas videos for young Latinas at schools or community organizations. Contact email@example.com to start planning!
Identify More TECHNOLOchicas
Know Latinas in technology who could be profiled as a TECHNOLOchica? Share this application form with them: http://bit.ly/1OVS2lw.