We hope you are having an amazing summer break and are finding plenty of ways to learn new things while enjoying the sun! The TECHNOLOchicas are certainly keeping their summer schedule packed and have been spotted from coast to coast. As always, thanks for signing up to hear all of the latest TECHNOLOchicas news — inspiring videos, resources, news articles, and event highlights.
Share this email: Forward to Friend
In this newsletter:
- Featured Video
- Tip of the Month
- Featured News Coverage
- Spreading the Word
“If you have a dream you have to work for it. Work really hard and go for it.” Hear the inspiring words from five TECHNOLOchicas in the video that started it all:
Tip of the Month
This month’s Tip comes from “Top 10 Ways to Engage Underrepresented Students in Computing:”
- Select activities that will engage students who are new to computing. Game design, socially relevant assignments, and digital media are promising ways to engage students. Many schools find success using Alice, Scratch, or other user-friendly programs that enable students to learn difficult computer science concepts before they are introduced to coding.
Featured News Coverage
- TECHNOLOChica Alejandrina González got the opportunity to talk with the Senior editor of CNET en Español at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference. Check out their chat: http://bit.ly/1V2OPzC.
- Congratulations to TECHNOLOchica Andrea Chaves who was awarded with Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Excellence in Teaching Award in Queens, New York by Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul: http://on.ny.gov/29ZyrRl.
- TECHNOLOchica Rebecca Garcia shares why teaching kids to code is her passion: http://bit.ly/28J1EUb.
- “No matter what you’re doing, there’s always going to be a new framework out there. There’s always going to be new projects out there. There’s so much collaboration involved in learning that you constantly get to see new things and try different approaches. It just never gets boring. No matter what you’re doing, you’re always going to be doing something fresh.” // TECHNOLOchica and Developer Evangelist Cassidy Williams explains why she loves technology. // http://bit.ly/1XqgEYY
What else have the TECHNOLOchicas been up to this past month?
- TECHNOLOchica Jessica Santana spoke at Techinclusion16 on the “What We Can All Do to Diversify Tech” panel.
- TECHNOLOchicas Rebecca Garcia and Cassidy Williams spoke at the Women In Tech Careers Panel on June 28 in New York, New York.
- TECHNOLOchicas Caeley Looney and Gemma Busoni each hosted sessions at Major League Hacking‘s (MLH) Hackcon IV.
- TECHNOLOchica Alejandrina Gonzalez Reyes was at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco this past month.
Check out pictures from all of the above events on Instagram!
Are the TECHNOLOchicas coming to a town near you?
More events, appearances, and celebrations will pop up this summer, as we near our one year anniversary in the fall! Be sure you are following us via social media and watching for future newsletters to be the first to know where the TECHNOLOchicas will be next.
Spreading the Word
Want to help support TECHNOLOchicas? Below are several ways you can help.
Join Us Online
- Follow @TECHNOLOchicas on Twitter, and like TECHNOLOchicas on Facebook for daily tips, inspirational quotes, and Latinas in technology news that you can share with friends.
- Follow us on Instagram, and see event highlights through the eyes of the TECHNOLOchicas as they capture memorable moments. View additional, official photos on the Flickr channel.
Host an Event
Ask a TECHNOLOchica to make an appearance, or show a screening of TECHNOLOchicas videos for young Latinas at schools or community organizations. Contact email@example.com to start planning!
Identify More TECHNOLOchicas
Know Latinas in technology who could be profiled as a TECHNOLOchica? Share this application form with them: http://bit.ly/1OVS2lw.